THE CLASS: This class studies the period of art making in the sense of global imagery. The 20th century witnessed an unprecedented explosion of artistic movements, approaches and styles. The class will examine various art genres, including Cubism, Surrealism, Abstract Expressionism, Pop Art, Photo Realism, and Conceptual Art. Discussions of artists such as, Pablo Picasso, Jackson Pollock, Kara Walker, Cindy Sherman, and Jeff Koons will be an integral premise for the class. Another important element is how artists from one movement influenced the next. The class will learn about various art making processes, for instance a contemporary artists might use non-traditional tools and materials like a 3D printer and discarded items found on the street. Class materials exploration and a trip to the Boston ICA will enhance learning and heighten creative understanding of the movements.
- To enhance your observational skill, and foster an understanding of the Elements of Art and Principles of Design and how they are represented in art.
- To develop stylistic, comparative, historical, and formal analysis of 20th century art work through written and oral communication.
- To build a catalogue of reference material, via blog, to be utilized and built upon as the term progresses.
- To understand the four stages of art criticism: Describe, Analyze, Interpret, and Judge
- Weekly Artist Research Project (WARP)
- Student participation – Collaboration – Effort
TECHNOLOGY: It is the 21st century after all
iPads: This term, our class will have the opportunity to utilize iPads as an additional resource and classroom tool. The Apple iPad allows us the opportunity to easily reference and research information while gathered at the Harkness table, but also offers a infinite variety of applications and tools that we can use to enhance our learning of 20th century art. I REQUIRE that you bring your iPad with you to class everyday FULLY charged.
Apps: Rather than having you purchase a $90 textbook, I will be asking you to purchase less than $15 worth of iPad applications. If you do not have one already, please set up an iTunes account (see link for reference).
- WordPress for iPad FREE
- Art Authority for iPad $9.99
- Notability $2.99
- Khan Academy FREE
- Dropbox FREE
- VoiceThread FREE
- PBS for iPad FREE – Art21
- Art HD Deluxe. Great Artists. Gallery and Quiz $5.99
- The Getty Museum Highlights HD for iPad $2.99
- The Design Museum Collection for iPad FREE
- MoMA AB EX NY FREE
- Color Theory Quick Reference